At the start of the new year we decided to make a new budget. We were already tracking the big bills, but we suspected the small grocery items might be adding up. It was only when we started counting up the things we buy every month that we realised how much trying to conceive was costing us!
Granted we rarely pay full price for anything; you can often find ‘Buy One Get One Free’ or multi-buy offers on vitamins & tests. So here’s a guesstimate of our costs so far.
- Basal Temperature Kit - £12
- Prenatal Vitamins - £4.00 x 39 months = £156
- Zinc & Vitamin E - £9 x 11 months = £99
- Loose Boxer Shorts - £45
- Ovulation Tests - £15 x 7 packs = £105
- Pregnancy Tests - £3 x 15 tests = £45
- Clomid Prescription - £7.40
- Train Fares for hospital appointments - £8 x 9 days = £72
I don’t know about you, but I was a bit shocked. We obviously weren’t going out of our way to scrimp and save on these supplies, so there are plenty of ways to bring the costs down – but it amazing how quickly it all adds up.
This was originally published on the Emma's Diary Blog.